Monday, February 1, 2010

Prayer and Matt Chandler

This morning I read a powerful story of Pastor Matt Chandler. He has been diagnosed with a stage 3 brain tumor. His outlook is amazing and humbling. Reading his story has lead me to their family blog, The Chandlers.

In an October 24 post Lauren said,
"I'm praying because I want to know Him. I want to be a part of the advancing of His Kingdom. I want to see change--in me and in others. I want to fight sin. I want to humble myself before the Sovereign King."
I've struggled with prayer and the idea of prayer. Does it work? The bible says He knows our days before they happen. So how does prayer change that? Does He change his mind about paths if people pray?

In that same post Lauren also says:
Pray. For it is fellowship with God.
Pray. For it is a beckoning to join with God in accomplishing His eternal purposes.
Pray. For it truly changes things.
Pray. For it is a means of confession + fighting sin.
Pray. For it is an act of humility.
So praying is also done for me and my relationship with God, not simply for Him to change His mind. I've been reading Catherine Marshall's book A Closer Walk: A Spiritual Lifeline to God. She's shown me repeatedly that praying brings her focus to God in all she does. Prayer is for her and her relationship with God. I know that prayer does bring about miracles. I'm just still unsure why--is it prayer or His already chosen path.

I've been reading my Bible at night before bed. Each night I've opened it, it has shown me verses that directly apply to me now. Very cool to lay down, close my eyes, and go "Wow!"

No comments: